The California Classic
THE CALIFORNIA CLASSIC
Discovered in the Golden State, this 1967 E-type roadster offers a unique investment opportunity and endless possibilities for a full nut and bolt restoration! Sourced by E-Type UK for a client on the hunt to build their very own Jaguar E-type roadster, the classic arrived finished in White and with what was left of Red interior, however, was a non-runner. Following assessment by our restoration technicians, this Jaguar is ready to start its journey.
- Original California 'Black Plate' car.
- Full matching numbers.
- Offering endless potential and a prime restoration candidate.
- Given a specification that favoured originality but welcome a number of subtle upgrades.
The real story
Currently presented in Old English White with extensively perished Red trim, the E-type is subjected to a full chassis strip down, with all the E-type's components removed and safely stored. Once bare, the E-type is media blasted to remove all paintwork and contaminates ready for metalwork. Returning from metalwork the E-type requires the following panels and sections:
- Near and offside sills (inner and outer).
- Complete front floor plan, including kickboards.
- Gearbox tunnel
- Rear scuttle
Out with the old, in with the new
Starting metalwork hits the first milestone for this Roadster restoration, removing the damaged and unsalvageable panels and sections, and introducing new OEM parts to build an all 'new' strong and safe shell.
- Salvageable panels include: front & rear bulkhead and tailgate
- Fitted to a bespoke Series 1 alignment jig
- Corroded panels were removed, replaced with the finest remanufactured panels.
- Salvageable sections were treated to minor fabricated to ensure a perfect standard across the board.
- A newly safe and strengthened shell signifies metalwork completions.
Not to be rushed
The paint preparation and application process requires skill and great detail, therefore, should not be rushed. All our E-type restoration undergo a lengthy preparation process consisting of fille, primer hardening and paint. Traditionally this process takes a minimum of 400 hours to ensure each classic is concour ready. Soon to be subjected to hours of prep, paint and polish, this Jaguar E-type will leave the body shop with a mouth-watering finish.
- Focusing on maintaining perfect body lines and panel gaps.
- Once filled, several rounds of primer and rub down happen to create the ideal surface for paint.
- A minimum of 8 litres of Opalescent Silver Blue 2-PAC paint is applied to the Jaguar E-type Roadster.
- Subjected to 3 coats of solid and 6 coats of high-quality clear coat, the E-type's bodywork is complete!
Boasting its all-new finish, Opalescent Silver Blue, this E-Type Roadster is wheeled into the workshop to begin its rebuild. The team start by making the car a rolling chassis, fitting the front suspension, steering and installing the fully rebuilt IRS. With these key components fitted the beat heart can be mated to the car. The rebuilt blueprint 4.2L straight-six is lined up and installed into the engine bay. With this milestone, the car quickly begins to take shape as the technicians build the client's bespoke specification, seeing upgrades fitted such as:
- Original and refurbished 4-speed synchro gearbox
- Electronic ignition
- High torque starter
- Uprated alternator
- Performance cooling with ally radiator and larger fans
- Electronic power steering
- Sports braking with larger callipers, vented discs and green stuff pads.
With all major mechanical components and upgrades installed, the team prepare to turn the key and awaken the fully rebuilt 4.2L straight-six. With all fluids topped up it's time for the big moment! The XKE engine roars to life, the technicians inspect for leaks and anything untoward as the engine gets to temperature. With the all-clear, the bonnet is aligned and fitted securely and fitted with brightwork and interior components ready to be sent away to be trimmed. Finished with:
- Fabricated and re-chromed bumpers and over-riders
- Headlights and chrome surrounds with new headlight glass
- New grille motif bar
- Refurbished bonnet seam chromes
- New windscreen and chrome surround
You can smell the leather
The Calfornia Classic returns to base following weeks of specialist trim work, fitting all-new Jaguar Dark Blue trim! Presenting a mouth-watering combination when paired against the fresh Opalescent Silver Blue, this Roadster is ready for Summer 2022!
The restoration team proceed with finishing off the remaining tasks, such as fitting the screen and exterior brightwork, but the E-type hits the road to start its shakedown mileage. A key stage to any E-Type UK restoration as delivering an E-type that not only looks exceptional but that has the performance to match is vital!
Watch this space as this beauty edges closer to completion and delivery!
THAT'S A WRAP!
Since landing at the doors of the E-Type UK in dire need of restoration to make this classic road worthy again, this Series 1 Roadster has received new panels, had perfect gaps and lines restored, gifted a mouth-watering finish of Opalescent Silver Blue over luscious Dark Blue trim, and finished with a number of reliability upgrades that all total to an extremely loveable and useable 60's driver.
It was an exciting day when the client came to collect, having been closely involved with the restoration process, ensuring every decision was clearly thought out to guarantee his dream car was built. The hand-over day finally arrived and with a busy weekend planned, this client had enough time to pose with the two lead technicians from his build, before driving his brand new classic away smiling ear to ear.